The One Penny Red team is strongly committed to sustainability and took every opportunity to implement sustainable solutions throughout the renovation.
Our sustainability goals
Areas of excessive consumption led the team to consider desirable outcomes to:
- Reduce power consumption
- Minimise the use of air conditioning
- Minimise water and gas usage
With these goals in mind the following design solutions were implemented:
- Insulation of the hot water pipes and installation of heat trace along the pipes were used to maintain the heat in the water from the storage unit to the end user. This eliminates water wastage while waiting for it to become hot and minimises the need for the equipment reliant on hot water to heat water for a second time [before using it].
- Rigid panel reflective insulation was installed under the existing rafters to protect the roof space from excessive heat load, reducing the workload of the mechanical air-conditioning system and the use of power. A cooler roof space also means a more stable interior climate, making us less reliant on air-conditioning in the summer.
- Heat sources from refrigeration condensers were located externally, reducing the workload of the air conditioning equipment.
- The windows were repaired and made operable, giving us the choice of natural ventilation on days where air-conditioning is not required.
Other sustainable measures
- Reducing power and heat load with LED lighting
- Limiting toxicity and off-gassing of new materials including the use of low VOC (volatile organic compound) paint and water based acrylic floor sealer
- Utilising the space on site for a garden watered by rainwater
- Providing bicycle racks for staff and patrons to use
- Recycling existing floorboards
- Installing blinds on key windows to reduce solar gain
Our commitment to you
One Penny Red team will source, where possible, sustainable and organic produce from our grass-feed beef to our free-range eggs and biodynamic wine. Our dedicated gardener will work with the chef to select the best seasonal produce to bring to your table.